Semi-Conductor Tracker (SCT)
SCT consists of a barrel and two endcap parts. There are 4088
modules in total. Our major activity here is the development
of monitoring system that is crucial to maximize the
detector's performance, especially for such a large system.
- We contributed to develop a mechanism to save
the monitored results in the database so-called COOL.
This is part of 24 hour (or 36 hour) calibration loop project.
- We develop a mechanism to extract data from COOL and to
do a simple analysis based web browser. This allows users
not only to view the monitoring results but also investigate
correlations between the detector performance and various
environmental parameters such as temperature, LHC prameters,
and so on. Using this mechanism, to monitor the long term
performance is our plan.
Study of b-jet identification (b-tagging)
In the light Higgs search or some SUSY search channels,
identification of b-jet is one of the key elements in the
analyses. Two PhD students are currently trying to measure the
b-tagging efficinecy in data with so-called template fitting
in which they use different kinematical variables as the
- pTrel: muon's transverse momentum with respect to jet axis.
- secondary vertex mass: invariant mass reconstructed from
charged tracks associated to the secondary vertex.
We are interested in the physics process with b-jets in the
final states. Currently the following two anlyses are on
going. In future, we would like to discover Higgs boson, and
measure its Yukawa coupling to b and/or t quarks, as well.
Search for TeV scale black hole is another interests.
- t-tbar cross section measurement in dimuon channel with b-tgging.
- SUSY event search in b-jet + missing ET.
Silicon Detector R&D
There are also activities on hardware.
The following two silicon based detector for charged particle
detection are on going.
- ATLAS silicon detector upgrade: we are currently
developing DAQ system for sensor/hybrid/module readout test.
In future, our plan is to be involved ATLAS wide silicon
detector DAQ and operation for the upgrade.
- Development of new type monolithic pixel detector using
SOI (Silicon On Insulator) based technology.